The Minister of Civil Aviation Shri Jyotiraditya M. Scindia launched the National Air Sport policy 2022 (NASP 2022). The vision of NASP 2022 is to make India one of the top sports nations by 2023. The policy ensures to provide safe, affordable, accessible, enjoyable, and sustainable air sports in India.
The event was facilitated by several ministers including Shri Rajiv Bansal, Secretary, Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA), Shri Sanjeev Kumar, Chairman, Airport Authority of India (AAI), and Shri Amber Dubey, Joint Secretary, MoCA, Smt. Rubina Ali, Joint Secretary, MoCA, Shri SK Mishra, Joint Secretary, MoCA, Shri Piyush Srivastava, Senior Economic Advisor, MoCA, Shri PK Thakur, Deputy Director-General, MoCA, and other dignitaries from AAI, MoCA, DGCA, and BCAS.
The Air sports included various sports events which are going to be in air medium. India as a developing country has the potential to become one of the top countries in the world of air sports. India has a huge geographical expansion and favorable weather which can be a way of promoting air sports and India has a massive population, of which youth is a major part. These sports events are going to be in air medium and the coming youth will show greater participation in air sports.
The various aspects included in the policy are:
- Aero modeling and model rocketry
- Amateur-built and experimental aircraft
- Gliding and powered gliding
- Hang gliding and powered hang gliding
- Parachuting (including skydiving, BASE jumping, wing suits, etc.)
- Paragliding and para motoring (including powered parachute trikes etc.)
- Powered aircraft (including ultra-light, a microlight, light sports aircraft, etc.)
- Rotorcraft (including autogyro)
For the Air sports, there are four government structures formed under the Policy, which are named as follows.
- Air Sports Federation of India (ASFI) is the apex governing body
- National associations for individual air sports or a set of air sports, as appropriate
- Regional (e.g. West/ South/ North East etc.) or State and Union Territory level units of the national air sports associations, as appropriate; and
- District-level air sports associations, as appropriate.