What is Quad Summit 2022?
The Quad or the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue is a group made of four nations, India, Japan, the US, and Australia. It is a strategic forum that features semi-regular summits, information exchange, and military drills. The key focus of the summit is the development of the Indo-Pacific region highlighting the threats like terrorism, disinformation, and territorial disputes. The Quad is going to discuss the issues such as the Covid-19 pandemic and development of the Indo-Pacific economically and threats rising across the Indo-Pacific region. This year Quad leader summit is held on the 24th of May 2022, in Tokyo.
India in the Quad Summit, Tokyo
PM is attending the second-in-person Quad leader summit in Tokyo on 24th May 2022. He stated that Quad has gained significant popularity in the world in a short period. At the summit, he spoke about the contribution of India, to the development of the Indo-Pacific region. India has also joined the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework (IPEF), which is an Indo-Pacific Economic Bloc led by the US to counter China. PM Modi, stated while addressing the Summit “Despite the adverse situation of Covid-19, we’ve increased our coordination for vaccine delivery, climate action, supply chain resilience, disaster response, economic cooperation, and other areas. It has ensured peace, prosperity, and stability in Indo-Pacific.”
Issues addressed in The Quad summit 2022
- China and the Soloman Islands
- China and Taiwan
- North Korea Missiles
- Ukraine and Russia
Initiatives unveiled in Quad summit 2022
- The Quad Fellowship- This program will allow 100 students from each of the four countries to study for graduate STEM degrees in the US. The application for the fellowship program has started and will close on 30th June 2022.
- The Indo-Pacific Partnership for Maritime Domain Awareness (IPMDA)- It will focus on providing the fastest and clearest Maritime information to the four countries and their regional partners.
- The vaccine Partnership- The Quad has provided 257 million Covid-19 vaccines collectively. The bloc will continue to provide vaccine doses and support a $100 million facility to boost the Indian health care sector.
- Space Cooperation- The four nations have committed to sharing space-based earth observation data. It will include US programs on oceanic and atmospheric Monitoring, flood mapping, and land imaging.
FAQs related to Quad leader summit 2022
1. Where will the Quad summit 2022 take place?
Ans. The Quad leader summit will take place in Tokyo on 24th May 2022. The Quad leader of four nations India, Japan, the US, and Australia will discuss the regional and global issues.
2. What is the Quad leader summit?
Ans. The Quad leader summit included four nations, India, Japan, the US, and Australia. These nations will attend a meeting and address the regional and global issues and the development of the Indo-Pacific region.
3. When and where will the Quad meeting take place?
Ans. The Quad leader summit will take place in Tokyo, on 24th May 2022.