Tata Steel and Punjab Govt signs an MoU: The Tata steel company and the Punjabi government have agreed to establish a 0.75 million tonne per year (MnTPA) long products steel facility with an electric arc furnace (EAF) powered by scrap. Tata Steel’s decision to build the greenfield facility at Kadiana Khurd in Ludhiana’s Hitech Valley is a part of the company’s commitment to investing in a circular economy and switching to low-carbon steel making through steel recycling.
Tata Steel and Punjab Govt signs an MoU: Key Points
- According to the company, it is a step toward its objective of having Net Zero carbon emissions by 2045.
- Tata Steel’s flagship retail brand, “Tata Tiscon,” would be produced by the cutting-edge EAF-based steel mill, allowing the corporation to significantly expand its market share.
- The Tata Group’s investment in Punjab’s steel industry will spur industrial development in the province.
Tata Steel and Punjab Govt signs an MoU
- Tata Steel opened its 0.5 MnTPA steel recycling plant in Rohtak, Haryana, in August of last year. It is the nation’s first cutting-edge facility for processing scrap.
- Tata Steel has made targeted interventions across the value chain and is committed to lowering its carbon footprint during product manufacturing and throughout its life cycle in order to realise its net zero aim and to become a pioneer in sustainability.
- The Company wants to reduce its CO2 emissions in India to 1.8 tCO2/tcs by 2030 and to 2 tCO2/tcs by 2025.
- Tata Steel is effectively utilising the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) methodology to comprehend and enhance the environmental performance of its products in order to accelerate its efforts to ensure product sustainability.
Tata Steel and Punjab Govt signs an MoU: About Tata Steel
- With a 34 million tonne capacity for crude steel annually, Tata Steel Group is one of the leading worldwide steel producers.
- In the first quarter of fiscal year 23 compared to fiscal year 22, the steel major’s net profit decreased 21% to Rs 7,714 crore on an increase in net sales of 18.8% to Rs 63128.32 crore.
- On the BSE, Tata Steel shares decreased 2.09% to Rs 105.15.
Tata Steel and Punjab Govt signs an MoU: Important Takeaways
- Chief executive officer and managing director of Tata Steel: T. V. Narendran
- Punjab Chief Minister: Bhagwant Mann