UGC Guidelines for International Students: The University Grants Commission (UGC guidelines) said that higher education institutions (HEIs) nationwide would now be able to add up to 25% extra seats for international students and must have a transparent admissions procedure for them. Last month, the draught of “Guidelines for Admission and Supernumerary Seats of International Students in Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programmes in Higher Educational Institutions in India” was made available to the public for comment.
Bank Maha Pack includes Live Batches, Test Series, Video Lectures & eBooks
UGC Guidelines for International Students:
- Over and beyond their overall sanctioned enrolment for undergraduate and graduate programmes, HEIs may generate up to 25 percent of supernumerary seats for overseas students.
- The choice on additional seats must be made by the relevant higher education institutions in accordance with the detailed directives and laws issued by the regulatory agencies, taking into account the infrastructure, faculty, and other criteria.
- International students may be accepted by Indian HEIs depending on their admission qualification equivalents.
- The UGC, any other organisation it has approved for this purpose, or the relevant national regulatory agencies are required to determine the equivalence.
- Higher education institutions (HEIs) may use an open admissions procedure to admit overseas students.
UGC Guidelines : Additional Guideline for International Students
The UGC has made it clear that the 25 percent of extra seats for overseas students do not include those who are enrolled in exchange programmes, agreements between institutions, or agreements between the government of India and other nations.