FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022:
Vice President Jagdeep Dhankhar has joined the Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani and other dignitaries in the inauguration of FIFA World Cup in Qatar. Dhankhar is in Doha for a two-day visit to represent India at the inauguration of FIFA’s showpiece event. Besides attending the inaugural ceremony of the Football World Cup, the Vice President will also interact with members of the Indian community during the visit. The 60,000-capacity Al Bayt Stadium in Al Khor will host the opening ceremony on 20 November 2022 just before the first match between host Qatar and Ecuador.
Besides attending the inaugural ceremony of the Football World Cup, the Vice President will also interact with members of the Indian community during the visit. The Vice President’s visit would be an opportunity to join a close and friendly country Qatar as it hosts a major sporting event and also acknowledge the role played and support extended by Indians in this World Cup.
India Qatar Relations
- India and Qatar enjoy close and friendly relations with multifaceted partnerships extending to areas of trade, energy, security, defence, health, culture, and education, among others.
- In the last financial year, bilateral trade crossed USD 15 billion.
- Qatar plays an important partner in India’s energy security and India participates in Qatar’s food security.
- Next year, both countries will be celebrating 50 years of the establishment of full diplomatic relations.
- People-to-people ties form an important element of the bilateral relationships with over 840,000 Indians in Qatar.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Qatar Capital: Doha;
- Qatar Currency: Qatari Riyal.