Home   »   Ranks & Reports   »   Alarming Rise in Road Accidents and...

Alarming Rise in Road Accidents and Fatalities: India’s Road Safety Crisis

In 2022, India faced a severe road safety crisis, witnessing a shocking increase in road accidents and fatalities. According to data released by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, the country experienced 53 accidents and 19 deaths every hour, amounting to a staggering 1,264 accidents and 42 deaths daily. This alarming situation demands urgent attention and effective measures to ensure road safety for all citizens.

1. Escalating Severity of Road Crashes:

The severity of road crashes, measured by the number of people killed per 100 accidents, rose significantly from 28.2% in 2012 to 36.5% in 2022. During the pandemic, this rate spiked above 37%. This upward trend emphasizes the critical need for enhanced trauma care and traffic calming measures aimed at reducing crash impact parameters.

2. Factors Contributing to Road Accidents:

  • Over Speeding: Over speeding was identified as the leading cause, accounting for a staggering 72.3% of accidents and 71.2% of deaths. This highlights the urgent need for stricter enforcement of speed limits and awareness campaigns to curb reckless driving.

3. Impact on Different Age Groups:

  • Young Adults Most Vulnerable: A significant portion of the victims fell in the 18-45 age bracket, comprising 66.5% of the total fatalities. This demographic group remains highly vulnerable, emphasizing the importance of targeted educational initiatives and stricter law enforcement to protect young drivers and pedestrians.
  • Child Casualties: Shockingly, 9,528 children lost their lives in road crashes in 2022, averaging 26 child fatalities every day. This devastating statistic underlines the urgent need for child safety measures, including enhanced school zone safety and parental education programs.

4. Regional Disparities in Road Safety:

  • States with Highest Fatalities: Uttar Pradesh recorded the highest share of deaths at 13.4%, followed by Tamil Nadu at 10.6% and Maharashtra at 9%. Addressing regional disparities is crucial for implementing targeted road safety policies and interventions.

5. Impact of Road Network Expansion:

  • Deadly Highways: National and State highways, constituting only 4.9% of the total road network, witnessed a staggering 56.1% of all road crashes and nearly 61% of road crash fatalities. This underscores the need for rigorous safety measures on highways, including enhanced patrolling and improved road infrastructure.

6. International Comparison:

  • India’s Global Standing: According to the Save Life Foundation, India ranks among the 20 worst countries for road crashes, with a crash severity rate of 38.15. This data necessitates a comparative analysis with global best practices to implement effective road safety strategies.

Find More Ranks and Reports Here

Alarming Rise in Road Accidents and Fatalities: India's Road Safety Crisis_4.1

NSO Released Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) Annual Report 2022-2023_110.1