DHARA, Driving Holistic Action for Urban Rivers, the annual meeting of the members of the River Cities Alliance (RCA) is organized by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMGC), partnered with the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) from 13th to 14th February 2023 in Pune.
The Union Minister for Jal Shakti, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat will address the inaugural event while the Minister of State for Housing and Urban Affairs, Kaushal Kishore will deliver the valedictory address on day two.
Annual Meeting of Members of the River Cities Alliance ‘DHARA’ to be held in Pune – Key Points
- The DHARA event has strong synergies with the Urban20 initiative under the ambit of India’s G20 Presidency.
- DHARA 2023 will witness multiple sessions over the two-day event that include sessions on ‘National Case Studies on Innovative River-related Practices’ to introduce the participants to several unique and innovative solutions for different aspects of urban river management.
- These solutions involve lake and pond rejuvenation, de-centralized used-water management, enhancing the river-related economy, groundwater management, flood management, and ‘International Case Studies’.
- These will focus on Innovative River-related practices in countries like Denmark, reuse of used water in Israel, floodplain management in the Netherlands, river health monitoring in the USA, pollution control in Japan, and water-sensitive city design in Australia.
- DHARA 2023 is being organized for the Municipal Commissioners of the member cities to initiate in-depth discussions and come up with possible learning solutions for urban river management.
- The expected participants of the event involve representatives of RCA (Commissioners/ Addl. Commissioners), Central and State Government dignitaries, citizens of NIUA and NMCG, Thinktanks (NGOs and thought leaders), students, and young leaders, national experts, international experts, local government agencies, stakeholders from the private sector, funding agencies and media people.