Deakin University of Australia to set up campus in GIFT city
The first foreign university to establish a campus in India will be Deakin University of Australia. The autonomous campus will be built in Gujarat International Financial Tec-City (GIFT) City. While visiting Ahmedabad, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Norman Albanese is anticipated to make the official announcement.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
Deakin University of Australia to set up campus in GIFT city: Key Points
- According to the QS World University Rankings, Deakin University is ranked 266 overall. It is one of the top 50 new universities worldwide.
- At least two Australian institutions are considering opening campuses in India.
- For the same, they contacted the national government.
- For the same, they contacted the national government. Deakin has already submitted an application to the International Financial Services Centers Authority (IFSCA) to establish its campus.
- The university is anticipated to open its doors the following year. It will accept students for postgraduate programmes.
- According to information on the university website, Deakin University has four campuses in Australia, including ones in Melbourne (Burwood), Geelong (Waurn Ponds and Waterfront), and Warrnambool.
- Students there come from 132 different nations, with Indians making up 27% of the student body, followed by Chinese (22 per cent).
- With about 60,000 total students, its Melbourne Burwood campus has the most, with over 26,000 students enrolled.
- The announcement by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman last year that she would allow top-tier foreign universities and institutions to establish campuses in GIFT City to provide courses in financial management, FinTech, science, technology, engineering, and mathematics “free from domestic regulations” has led to the current development.
- More foreign institutions are interested in establishing campuses in the GIFT city, according to a government official quoted in the article.
Uranium particles enriched to 83.7 per cent found in Iran: UN report
Australia’s Deakin University to set up campus in GIFT city: Other Highlights
- Another Australian institution of higher learning among them is the University of Wollongong (UOW).
- According to the research, it is ranked 10th in Australia and 85th overall. It is significant to remember that IFSCA regulations will apply to colleges operating in GIFT City, whereas UGC regulations would not.
- The National Education Strategy document, released by the Narendra Modi administration in July 2020, made the government’s commitment to accepting international universities public.
Also Read: Britain, EU reach agreement on Northern Ireland post-Brexit trade