Garuda Shakti 2022:
The Special Forces of India and Indonesia commenced the joint military exercise Garuda Shakti. The exercise is currently underway in Indonesia at Sangga Buana Training Area, Karawang. The eighth edition of Exercise Garuda Shakti focuses on enhancing understanding, cooperation and interoperability between the Special Forces of both armies. The goal of the joint exercise is to advance the special forces’ skills. It also aims to share information on new weapons, equipment, tactics, techniques, and procedures, as well as lessons learned from previous operations.
The joint training will help both armies get to know one another better and share their extensive combat experience in counterterrorism, regional security operations, and peacekeeping in a global setting. The exercise serves as an important platform for maintaining friendly ties between the two nations and is another step toward ensuring regional security.
Focus of the exercise:
- Focusing on a high level of physical fitness, tactical drills, techniques, and procedures, both armies have planned a 13-day comprehensive training schedule for joint training. The bilateral exercise will culminate with a 48-hour validation exercise.
- The bilateral exercise also covers strikes on terrorist camps, training for special forces operations in jungle terrain, and a validation exercise that combines basic and advance special forces techniques.
- Additionally, this Special Exercise also provides an opportunity for soldiers of both armies to explore each other’s culture and lifestyle to strengthen the defence ties.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Indonesia Capital: Jakarta;
- Indonesia Currency: Indonesian rupiah;
- Indonesia President: Joko Widodo.