Hosts Haryana won the Khelo India Youth Games (KIYG) 2021 title with 52 gold medals on the final day. Haryana also won 39 silver and 46 bronze medals, taking their overall medal tally to 137 medals – the highest cumulative haul by any state. The late surge helped Haryana leapfrog the 2020 champions Maharashtra on the KIYG medals table.
- Maharashtra, meanwhile, managed 45 gold, 40 silver and 40 bronze medals to come second with 125 medals.
- Karnataka, with 22 gold, 17 silver and 28 bronze, finished third with 67 medals.
About the Khelo India Youth Games 2021:
- The Khelo India Youth Games 2021 started on June 4 across multiple venues with Haryana’s Panchkula hosting the bulk of the events. The Games, which are a part of the Indian government’s Khelo India initiative, concluded on June 13.
- This was Haryana’s second KIYG title. Haryana won the inaugural title in 2018 but finished second to Maharashtra in the next two seasons.
- This was the fourth edition of the Khelo India Youth Games. Some 4,700 athletes, including 2,262 women, from all of India’s 36 states and Union Territories participated at KIYG 2021.
- Hosts Haryana fielded the biggest contingent with 398 athletes, followed by Maharashtra with 357. A total of 33 states won at least one medal at KIYG 2021 while 28 won at least one gold.