India edges past China to send more students to US in 2022
As per a report by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, there has been a significant rise in the number of Indian students who have gone to the United States in 2022. India has emerged as the leader when it comes to international students in the US, surpassing China, as reported by the US annual report which states that 64,300 students from India went to the US in 2022, whereas the number from China declined to 24,796.
India edges past China to send more students to US in 2022: Key Points
● This report includes all international students registered in the American education system, ranging from Kindergarten to Grade 12.
● As per the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), the number of international students in the K-12 education system has increased by 7.8% from 2021 to 2022, reaching a total of 3,887.
● In 2022, K-12 schools hosted around 700 international students, a figure that remained mostly unchanged from the previous year.
Furthermore, the report indicates that 117,301 OPT students with an employment authorization document (EAD) reported working for an employer in 2022, an increase of 1.4% from the previous year’s number of 115,651.
How many students were allowed to enroll in 2022?
● In 2022, there were 7,683 fewer SVEP-certified schools eligible to enroll international students compared to the previous year.
● California hosted the largest percentage of international students, accounting for 16.5% of all international students in the US.
● The number of exchange visitors hosted by the US increased by 1.15% from 2021, with China and India accounting for 46% of all active SEVIS records.
Although there was an increase in the number of active F-1 and M-1 student records from Asia, countries such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Malaysia experienced a decline in international student enrollment. However, India was an exception to this trend. Seventy percent of all international students in the US were from Asia.