India and Israel successfully tested a Medium-Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MRSAM) defence system. The MRSAM missile defence system has been developed jointly by DRDO and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) to deal with airstrikes by enemy countries. Currently being used by all three wings of the Indian Army as well as Israel Defence Forces (IDF), the air and missile defence system was a joint venture of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and the IAI.
About the MRSAM:
- MRSAM is an air and missile defence system that can destroy enemy aircraft from a distance of 50 to 70 km.
- It provides ultimate protection against a variety of aerial platforms.
- The MRSAM includes command and control, an advanced phased-array radar, mobile launchers and interceptors with advanced RF seeker.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Secretary Department of Defence Research and Development & Chairman DRDO: Dr G Satheesh Reddy.
- DRDO Headquarters: New Delhi.
- DRDO Established: 1958.
- President and CEO of Israel Aerospace Industries: Boaz Levy.