India’s top triple-jumper Aishwarya Babu has been banned by the National Anti-Doping Agency’s (NADA) disciplinary panel for four years for using a prohibited anabolic steroid. Aishwarya Babu, 25 years old, was dropped from the Birmingham Commonwealth Games in 2022, along with sprinter S Dhanalakshmi after testing positive for the steroid, which is on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA) prohibited list.
Aishwarya has been given time till 6th March 2023 to file an appeal against the ban after receiving the ban notice from NADA’s Appeal Panel on 13th February 2023.
India’s Triple-Jumper Aishwarya Babu Banned by NADA for Four Years – Key Points
- Aishwarya previously won the triple jump gold in the championships with a national record-breaking lunge of 14.14 meters.
- She tested positive for Ostarine — a drug that falls in the category of selective androgen receptor modulator (SRAM) — during the National Inter-State Championships on 13 and 14 J in 2022 in Chennai.
- Aishwarya was provisionally suspended in July last year and she has already served six months of her four-year ban.
- NADA stated that the substance Aishwarya used was an “anabolic steroid” listed under WADA’s 2022 prohibited. It added that the athlete had not taken a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for it.
- Aishwarya on the other hand stated in her submission that she “did not take any prohibited ton order to enhance” her performance.
- The athlete added that she had suffered an injury in the past when her shoulder had dislocated while lifting weights in the gym in February 2021.
- Aishwarya added that in the run-up to the National Inter-state Championships, she pushed herself too much, which led her to the “painful discomfort on the Shoulder.”
- NADA’s disciplinary panel questioned why Aishwarya did not approach a hospital or a registered medical practitioner for treatment, adding that the athlete “totally disregarded the rule and took Ostathe rine tablets on advice of her colleague.”
- The athlete has failed to satisfy the panel that the ADRV (Anti-Doping Rule Violation) was non-intentional as per NADA.
- FIFA awards 2022: Lionel Messi wins ‘Best FIFA player of 2022’
- Asian Chess Federation confers D Gukesh with Player of the Year award