The Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs has released the final rankings of the Municipal Performance Index (MPI) 2020. The ranking has classified municipalities into two categories based on their population which are: million-plus category and the less than million categories. The Municipal Performance Index will help Municipalities in better planning and management, filling the gaps in city administration, and improving the liveability of cities for its citizens.
Million plus population category
- Indore has topped this list, followed by Surat and Bhopal.
Less than a million category
- New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) emerged as the leader, followed by Tirupati and Gandhinagar.
Municipal Performance Index 2020
- The Municipal Performance Index 2020 has examined the sectoral performance of 111 municipalities. Delhi has been assessed separately for NDMC, and the three Municipal Corporations.
- They have been accessed across five verticals which comprise of 20 sectors and 100 indicators in all totality.
- The five verticals under the Municipal Performance Index are Services, Finance, Policy, Technology and Governance.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Minister of State (IC) of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs: Hardeep Singh Puri.