The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has announced that its new headquarters in Lausanne has been awarded the European 2020 US Green Building Council (USGBC) Leadership Award. Olympic House, which also holds the rigorous LEED Platinum certification, is one of the most sustainable buildings in the world.
In addition to receiving the highest number of points of any LEED v4-certified new construction project to date, the Olympic House is the first international headquarters and the second building overall to obtain the highest (Platinum) level of the Swiss Sustainable Construction Standard (SNBS).
Why this award is given to the IOC office?
- This Olympic House Inaugurated on June 23 last year, the embodies the IOC’s strong commitment to sustainability. It incorporates rigorous criteria in energy and water efficiency while optimising the health and well-being of its users.
- The Olympic House is delivering impressive results in terms of its operations, has cut energy consumption and non-recyclable office waste by half compared to the former IOC building.
- The building is powered by renewable energy, part of which is produced on-site. Ninety-five per cent of Olympic House construction waste was recycled, and more than 95 per cent of the former IOC building was recycled or reused.
- Carbon emissions from the building’s construction and operations have been compensated through the IOC-Dow carbon partnership.
About European US Green Building Council (USGBC) Leadership Award:
The award was announced by the USGBC, recognises “those advancing the development of sustainable, healthy and resilient buildings, cities and communities in regions around the world”. It has been given to five organisations that are “a model for how LEED can be used to improve communities, support human health and well-being, and contribute to a more sustainable future for all”.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- International Olympic Committee Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland.
- International Olympic Committee President: Thomas Bach.