IPS officer, Subodh Jaiswal has been appointed Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). He was the most senior officer among the three shortlisted for the post of CBI Director. Jaiswal, along with KR Chandra and VS Kaumudi, was short-listed out of 109 officers for the top post by the high-powered committee led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Other members of the committee include Chief Justice of India (CJI) NV Ramana and Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury.
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has based on the panel recommended by the Committee, approved the appointment of Shri Subodh Kumar Jaiswal, IPS (MH: 1985) as Director, Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for a period of two years from the date of assumption of charge of the office or until further orders whichever is earlier.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
Who is Subodh Jaiswal?
- Subodh Jaiswal is a 1985-batch Maharashtra cadre IPS officer who is the chief of CISF. Earlier, he held the post of Mumbai Police Commissioner and Maharashtra DGP.
- He was appointed Mumbai Police Commissioner in 2018 and has also worked with the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) in the past. Subodh Jaiswal has also served with the Intelligence Bureau, SPG (Special Protection Group) and R&AW (Research and Analysis Wing) for over a decade.
- The 58-year old officer was the chief of the Special Investigation Team that probed the Rs 20,000 crore fake stamp paper scam also known as the Abdul Karim Telgi scam.
- He was also part of the team that probed the 2006 Malegaon blast case.
- Subodh Jaiswal was awarded the President’s Police Medal for his distinguished service in 2009.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Central Bureau of Investigation Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Central Bureau of Investigation Founded: 1 April 1963.