The Joint Arab-Islamic Extraordinary Summit, which took place in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, on Saturday, November 11, 2023, wrapped up yesterday. The summit was convened to address the escalating Israeli aggression against the Palestinian people. Crown Prince and Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, opened the summit, welcoming leaders and representatives from member states of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) and the League of Arab States.
OIC Secretary-General Calls for Immediate Ceasefire and Humanitarian Aid
- In his address to the summit, H.E. Mr. Hissein Brahim Taha, the Secretary-General of the OIC, called for an immediate, durable, and comprehensive cessation of the ongoing Israeli aggression against the Palestinian people.
- Emphasizing the urgency of the situation, he urged the establishment of humanitarian corridors to deliver aid and essential needs to the Gaza Strip in an adequate and sustainable manner.
- The international community was urged to provide necessary protection for the Palestinian people during these challenging times.
Rejecting Forced Displacement and Advocating for a Just Solution
- The Secretary-General unequivocally rejected any plans for the forced displacement of Palestinians.
- He emphasized that a just, lasting, and comprehensive solution to the Palestinian Cause necessitates the establishment of an independent State of Palestine.
- This state should be based on the borders of June 4, 1967, with Al-Quds Al-Sharif as its capital.
- The proposed solution aligns with international legitimacy resolutions and the Arab Peace Initiative, underlining the commitment to a peaceful resolution of the longstanding conflict.
Reaffirming Commitment to the Palestinian Cause
- The summit served as a reaffirmation of the joint commitment of Arab and Islamic nations to their responsibilities in supporting the central cause—the Cause of Palestine and Al-Quds Al-Sharif.
- Leaders and representatives present underscored their solidarity and dedication to finding a just and comprehensive solution that respects the rights and aspirations of the Palestinian people.
Call for International Peace Conference
- A key highlight of the resolution is the call for an international peace conference at the earliest opportunity.
- The summit emphasizes the importance of a just, durable, and comprehensive peace based on international legitimacy resolutions and the Arab Peace Initiative.
- It calls for the renewal of commitment to these terms of reference and urges the international community to prioritize them in achieving lasting peace.
Humanitarian Steps and Breaking the Gaza Siege
- The resolution outlines crucial political, legal, and humanitarian steps, including breaking the siege on Gaza.
- It calls for the entry of Arab, Islamic, and international humanitarian aid convoys, supporting Egypt’s efforts to deliver aid to the Strip promptly, sustainably, and sufficiently.
- The resolution urges international organizations to participate in this process and calls on the UN Security Council to condemn Israeli military escalation and ensure the immediate cessation of the illegal siege.
Financial Support and Reconstruction Efforts
- To address the urgent humanitarian crisis, the resolution activates the Arab and Islamic Financial Safety Net.
- It mandates financial, economic, and humanitarian support to the Government of the State of Palestine and UNRWA.
- Furthermore, it emphasizes the need to mobilize international partners to reconstruct Gaza and alleviate the massive destruction caused by Israeli aggression.
Legal Monitoring and International Initiatives
- The summit mandates the establishment of two specialized legal monitoring units by the OIC and the League of Arab States.
- These units will document all crimes committed by the occupation authorities in Gaza since October 7, 2023, and prepare evidence for Israeli violations.
- The resolution supports legal and political initiatives by the State of Palestine at international forums such as the International Court of Justice, the International Criminal Court, and the Human Rights Council.
Immediate International Action
- In a proactive move, the resolution mandates the Foreign Ministers of Saudi Arabia, as Chair of the Arab Summit, and other key countries to initiate immediate international action on behalf of all member states to halt the war on Gaza.
- It calls for an end to the export of weapons and ammunition to the occupation authorities, holding them accountable for the destruction of Palestinian homes, hospitals, schools, and places of worship.
Condemnation of Aggression and Violations
- The resolution unequivocally condemns military aggression against the Gaza Strip, including war crimes and inhuman massacres committed by the colonial occupation government.
- It denounces settlers’ terrorism, Israeli attacks on Islamic and Christian holy places in Al-Quds, and illegal measures violating freedom of worship.