Lok Sabha Speaker, Om Birla inaugurated new building of Assam Legislative Assemble on 30th July in Guhawati in the presence of Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma.
Inauguration of New Building
At the inauguration of the new building of Assam Legislative Assembly, Chief Minister expressed his gratitude to the Speaker of Lok Sabha that he is glittering personality in the democracy of India. He has a source of inspiration for all the parliamentarians of Assam to raise various questions on people’s welfare in the Parliament.
New features with new building
- The new building of Assam Legislative Assembly is equipped with the facilities of e-Vidhan, audio-visual and information technology.
- It has office chambers for Speaker, Deputy Speaker, Chief Minister and other ministers, MLAs, conference hall, meeting halls etc.
- The new building will be a symbol of a developed and confident Assam.
- The new assembly building will carry image of an iconic building.
- The new building constructed using the classical and ethnic arts, epitomises the confluence of modern and traditional design.
- The different rooms of the building are designed using the rich and diverse art forms of Assam.
Assam Legislative Assembly
The Assam Legislative Assembly is the unicameral legislature of the Indian state of Assam.
Founded: 7th April 1937
Speaker of the house: Biswajit Daimary, BJP
Term limit: 5 years
Governor of Assam: Gulab Chand Kataria
Initiatives of Assam Legislative Assembly
- The first initiative of the assembly was the establishment of Assam University.
- Setting up of Guhawati High Court.
- Establishment of Oil Refinery.
Moreover, decentralisation for strengthening Panchayati Raj System, Cow Protection Act, abolition of zamindari system, establishment of institutions of higher education, banning of ragging in educational institutions and hostels etc. have been passed in Assam Legislative Assembly.