The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has entered into an MoU with “Swiggy”, one of the leading food delivery platforms, to onboard street food vendors on its e-commerce platform. The MoU aims at giving the street food vendors online access to thousands of consumers and help them grow their businesses. The arrangement has been facilitated under the Prime Minister Street Vendor’s AtmaNibhar Nidhi (PM SVANidhi) Scheme.
About the MoU:
- The Ministry and Swiggy will run a pilot programme by on-boarding 250 vendors across five cities namely – Ahmedabad, Chennai, Delhi, Indore, and Varanasi.
- The street vendors will be helped with PAN and FSSAI registration, training on technology, menu digitization and pricing along with hygiene and packaging best practices.
- Upon the successful completion of the pilot programme, Urban Affairs Ministry and Swiggy plan to expand this initiative across the country in phases.
- In a first of its kind initiative, the Urban Affairs Ministry has coordinated with the key stakeholders including Municipal Corporations, FSSAI, Swiggy and GST officials to ensure that necessary pre-requisites are completed for this initiative.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Minister of State (IC) of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs: Hardeep Singh Puri.
- Swiggy CEO: Vishal Bhatia.
- Swiggy Founded: 2014.
- Swiggy Headquarters: Bangalore, India.