The Bharat New Car Assessment Programme (Bharat NCAP) was launched by Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways Shri Nitin Gadkari on August 22, 2023, in New Delhi. The program aims to enhance road safety by elevating vehicle safety standards for up to 3.5-tonne vehicles in India. Bharat NCAP will also greatly push the safety and quality of the vehicles in India, while simultaneously promoting a healthy competition among OEMs to manufacture safer vehicles.
NCAP(New Car Assessment Programme), Program Details
- The program is applicable to type approved motor vehicles of M1 category less than 3.5T GVW.
- This is a voluntary program in which the base variants of a given model shall be tested.
- The program will commence from October 1, 2023, and will be based on Automotive Industry Standard (AIS) 197.
- The program aims to create an ecosystem of competitive safety enhancements leading to increased awareness among consumers.
- Consumers can take an informed decision by making a comparative assessment on vehicle performance under crash test conditions.
Benefits of Bharat NCAP
- Bharat NCAP will help to improve the safety of vehicles in India.
- It will promote a healthy competition among OEMs to manufacture safer vehicles.
- It will help to create awareness among consumers about the safety features of vehicles.
- It will help to reduce the number of road accidents and fatalities in India.
The launch of Bharat NCAP is a major step towards improving road safety in India. The program is expected to have a positive impact on the safety of vehicles and the behavior of drivers. It is a win-win for both manufacturers and consumers, and it is an important step towards making India a safer place to drive.