During his official visit to Egypt, Prime Minister Narendra Modi was bestowed with the highest state honor of Egypt, known as the ‘Order of the Nile.’ This recognition marks the 13th international award received by Prime Minister Modi. The prestigious award was presented to him by Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, making it a significant moment as Prime Minister Modi became the first Indian Prime Minister to visit Egypt since 1997.
What is the ‘Order of the Nile’?
According to the official website of the Egyptian Presidency, the ‘Order of the Nile’ is bestowed upon heads of states, crown princes, vice presidents, as well as individuals, both Egyptian and foreign, who have rendered exceptional services to the country or humanity. It is also worth noting that recipients of this honor are commemorated upon their passing.
The award itself is a collar made entirely of pure gold and consists of three square gold units, each adorned with pharaonic symbols. The first unit represents the protection of the state against malevolence, while the second unit symbolizes the prosperity and happiness brought forth by the Nile. The third unit signifies wealth and resilience, as stated on the website.
Connecting the three units is a circular gold flower ornamented with turquoise and ruby. Suspended from the collar is a hexagonal pendant decorated with pharaonic-style flowers and adorned with turquoise and ruby gems. At the center of the pendant, there is a prominent symbol representing the Nile, which unites the North (depicted by the Papyrus) and the South (represented by the Lotus).
This is the 13th international award conferred upon the prime minister since he took over in 2014. Here is the full list of honours:
- Companion of the Order of Logohu: Papua New Guinea conferred the highest civilian award for championing the cause of unity of Pacific Island countries and spearheading the cause of Global South. – May 2023
- Companion of the Order of Fiji: Highest honour of Fiji in recognition of PM Modi’s global leadership – May 2023
- Ebakl Award by the Republic of Palau: During his visit to Papua New Guinea, PM Modi was conferred with Ebakl Award by the President Surangel S. Whipps, Jr. of the Republic of Palau – May 2023
- Order of the Druk Gyalpo: Bhutan has honoured PM Modi with the highest civilian decoration, Order of the Druk Gyalpo in December 2021
- Legion of Merit by the US Government (award of the United States Armed Forces that is given for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services and achievements)–2020
- King Hamad Order of the Renaissance (this Bahrain Order – First Class is a top honour by the gulf country) –2019
- Order of the Distinguished Rule of Nishan Izzuddin (highest honour of the Maldives awarded to foreign dignitaries) –2019
- Order of St. Andrew award (highest civilian honor of Russia) –2019
- Order of Zayed Award (highest civilian honor of the United Arab Emirates) –2019
- Grand Collar of the State of Palestine Award (highest honor of Palestine awarded to foreign dignitaries) –2018
- State Order of Ghazi Amir Amanullah Khan (highest civilian honor of Afghanistan) –2016
- Order of Abdulaziz Al Saud (highest honor of Saudi Arabia awarded to non-muslim dignitaries) –2016
Awards conferred by organisations/foundations:
- Global Energy and Environment Leadership Award by the Cambridge Energy Research Associates CERA (award recognizes the commitment of leadership towards the future of global energy and environment) –2021
- Global Goalkeeper’ Award by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for Swachh Bharat Abhiyan –2019
- Champions of The Earth Award (UN’s highest environmental honor) –2018
- Seoul Peace Prize (awarded biennially to those individuals by Seoul Peace Prize Cultural Foundation who have made their mark through contributions to the harmony of mankind, reconciliation between nations and to world peace) –2018.