Bernardo Arévalo was officially sworn in as the President of Guatemala on January 15, 2024, overcoming months of political challenges and efforts to derail his inauguration.
Background of Bernardo Arévalo
- Unexpected Victory: Arevalo’s election victory marked a significant shift in Guatemala’s political landscape, traditionally dominated by conservative parties.
- Challenges: His path to the presidency was fraught with opposition and legal challenges, including efforts by Attorney General Consuelo Porras and establishment forces to undermine his election win.
- Democratic Advocate: Arevalo, a 65-year-old career diplomat and sociologist, is seen as a democracy advocate leading a progressive movement.
- Reshaping Politics: His presidency is viewed as a watershed moment for Guatemala, aiming to reshape the political landscape and address deep-rooted issues.
- Ceremony Details: The inauguration took place in Guatemala City, with Arevalo taking the oath of office shortly after midnight.
- Political Wrangling: The event was preceded by rising tensions and political wrangling, reflecting the challenges faced by Arevalo’s administration.
Objectives and Challenges
- Domestic Focus: Arevalo aims to tackle domestic issues, including deep-rooted corruption.
- Migration and US Relations: He will need to balance US demands to stem migration, a significant challenge given the record-high remittances vital to Guatemala’s economy.
- Law Enforcement Tactics: The previous administration often used heavy-handed tactics to stop migrants; Arevalo has committed to treating migrants with dignity and respect.
Important Takeaways of All Competitive Exams:
- Guatemala Capital: Guatemala City;
- Guatemala Currency: Guatemalan Quetzal;
- Guatemala Government: Unitary presidential republic;
- Guatemala Official language: Spanish.
Important Questions Related to Exams
Q1. Who was sworn in as the President of Guatemala on January 15, 2024?
Q2. What government system does Guatemala have?
Q3. What is the official language of Guatemala?
Q4. What is the currency of Guatemala?
Kindly share your responses in the comment section.