Facebook-parent Meta has appointed Sandhya Devanathan as its new top executive for the country two weeks after the departure of former India head Ajit Mohan. Devanathan will transition to her new role on 1 January 2023. Devanathan currently serves as vice president of gaming for Meta’s Asia-Pacific (APAC) division.
Sandhya Devanathan Appointed as Meta’s New India Head – Key Points
- In her new role, Sandhya Devanathan will report to Dan Neary, vice president of Meta’s overall APAC business.
- Devanathan served as the country managing director for Singapore and business head for Vietnam.
- Devanathan’s appointment follows high-profile exits from the company’s India ventures.
- On 3rd November 2022, Meta announced the departure of erstwhile country head, Ajit Mohan, with immediate effect.
- On 15 November, the company announced the departure of Abhijit Bose, country head for WhatsApp India, and Rajiv Aggarwal, public policy director for Meta India.
- The exits come amid the largest single layoff phase for Meta. On 9 November, Meta’s chief executive Mark Zuckerberg announced that the company will be laying off 11,000 of its employees, or about 13% of its workforce, and freeze all hiring for at least until March next year.