Switzerland won their first Billie Jean King Cup title after Belinda Bencic saw off Australia’s Ajla Tomljanovic in the second match of the finals with a lead of 2-0. Jil Teichmann had earlier prevailed 6-3 4-6 6-3 over Storm Sanders last year.
Switzerland won its first Billie Jean King Cup title by defeating Australia- Key Points
- The teams also clashed in the semi-finals of last year’s event in Prague, where Teichmann overcame Sanders and Bencic defeated Tomljanovic before Switzerland went on to finish runners-up to Russia.
- World number 12 Bencic had not dropped a set all week and extended her run against Tomljanovic, delivering a commanding performance to wrap up victory in an hour and 15 minutes.
- Teichmann dominated the first set but Sanders, struggling with a leg injury and needing courtside treatment, twice rallied from a breakdown in the second in a stirring revival.
- Sanders, who had won all three of her previous singles matches this week, Teichmann took the key break for 3-2 in a game that lasted 11 minutes before the Swiss saw out a hard-fought victory in two hours and 18 minutes.
- Seven-time winners Australia had beaten hosts Britain in the semi-final and were seeking their first title since 1974. They had also missed out in 2019 when they were beaten by France in Perth.