World Heritage Day 2020 observed globally on 18 April every year. This Day is celebrated to preserve the human heritage and to recognise all the efforts of relevant organizations.
The theme of World Heritage Day 2020 is “Shared Culture’, ‘Shared heritage’ and ‘Shared responsibility”. The theme focuses on global unity with the current worldwide health crisis.
History of World Heritage Day:
The International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) in 1982 announced, 18 April as the World Heritage Day. This was approved by General Assembly of UNESCO in 1983, with an aim of enhancing awareness about the importance of cultural heritage, monuments and to conserve them.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- UNESCO formation: 4 November 1946.
- UNESCO Headquarters: Paris, France.
- UNESCO Director-General: Audrey Azoulay.
- Headquarters of International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS): Paris, France.
- International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) Founded: 1965.
- President of International Council on Monuments and Sites: Toshiyuki Kono.