The second DNPA Conclave & Digital Impact Awards served as a pivotal platform for discussions on the revenue-sharing disparity between digital news publishers and major technology platforms. Key stakeholders, including the Minister of State for Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), converged to address this pressing issue amidst the backdrop of the imminent Digital India Act. The Conclave focuses on the theme ‘Navigating Digital Transformations and Challenges in the Media Industry.’
- Minister of State for MeitY, Rajeev Chandrasekhar, highlighted the urgent need to rectify the significant revenue-sharing gap between content creators and major technology platforms.
- Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting, Anurag Thakur, reiterated the government’s commitment to ensuring fair revenue distribution for digital news publishers.
- Minister Thakur emphasized the importance of an equitable digital media landscape. Insights from the EY (Ernst & Young) report on “Monetizing Digital News” reaffirmed the government’s readiness to enact changes conducive to fair revenue distribution.
- Minister Thakur underscored the government’s support for media houses in their pursuit of fair compensation. The Digital News Publishers Association (DNPA) has been at the forefront of advocating for fair revenue-sharing practices.
- Policymakers, industry experts, and stakeholders engaged in discussions on the evolving digital media landscape. Notable figures like Amitabh Kant discussed strategies to democratize the publisher-platform relationship and mitigate the influence of major technology platforms.
- The ‘State of Digital Media in India’ report shed light on the significance of online news consumption and preferences for Indian news outlets. It highlighted the need for legislation to ensure an equitable digital ecosystem.
- Throughout the conclave, there was a unanimous call for legislation to address the revenue-sharing disparity and foster an equitable digital landscape. Minister Chandrasekhar reiterated the government’s commitment to legislative action to ensure fairness for all stakeholders.
The DNPA Conclave & Digital Impact Awards 2024 provided valuable insights and discussions on rectifying the revenue-sharing disparity in India’s digital news ecosystem. With government commitment and industry advocacy, steps towards an equitable digital landscape are imminent.