Chhattisgarh Chief Minister, Bhupesh Baghel has launched a social security scheme “Shaheed Mahendra Karma Tendupatta Sangrahak Samajik Suraksha Yojana” for tendu leave collectors in the state. Tendu leaves, used for making bidis (leaf-wrapped cigarettes), are collected by forest dwellers and from them, it is purchased by the state government. The scheme, named after slain Congress leader Mahendra Karma, was inaugurated on the occasion of his birth anniversary.
About Mahendra Karma:
Karma, who was popularly known as Bastar tiger for his tough stand against Naxals, was among 29 people, including senior Congress leaders, who were killed in a Naxal attack in Jhiram valley of Bastar district on May 25, 2013.
- Under the scheme, to be executed jointly by state”s forest department and Chhattisgarh State Minor Forest Produce Federation, financial aid of Rs 2 lakh will be provided to the nominee or the heir in case of normal death of the head of the family of the registered tendu leaves collectors (if the age of the head of the family is not beyond 50 years).
- In case of death due to accident, additional financial aid Rs 2 lakh will be provided, whereas in case of permanent disability caused due to the accident, the assistance of Rs 2 lakh will be given and Rs 1 lakh in case of partial disability in the mishap.
- If the age of the head of such family is between 50 and 59 years, then in case of his/her normal death, Rs 30,000 will be provided as financial aid to their kin or nominee, while Rs 75,000 in case of accidental death.
- Similarly in this category, Rs 75,000 will be given in case of permanent disability caused to the head of the family in the accident and Rs 37,500 in case of partial disability.
- This scheme, introduced in the memory of the leader, will benefit around 12.50 lakh families involved in tendu leaves collection.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Governor of Chhattisgarh: Anusuiya Uikey.