Union Transport Minister, Nitin Gadkari has launched India’s first electric double-decker bus at YB Centre in south Mumbai. The name of the bus is “Switch EiV 22”, the double-decker bus will be run by the Mumbai civic transport body from September. Nitin Gadkari said 35 per cent of the pollution is because of diesel and petrol, and the introduction of these buses will reduce pollution. Two new electric buses, including the first air-conditioned double-decker bus in the country, will join the fleet of the Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST).
key features of AC double-decker buses:
- App-based seat booking, live tracking and payment on the BEST Chalo App;
- A dedicated USB charging port for every passenger;
- Adjustable footrest;
- Express service with fewer stops during peak hours;
- Monthly passes for regular passengers.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Maharashtra Capital: Mumbai;
- Maharashtra Chief Minister: Eknath Sindhe;
- Maharashtra Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari.