Indian Posts & US Postal Service entered into an agreement for the electronic exchange of customs data related to postal shipments. It will enable to transmit & receive electronic data of international postal items prior to their physical arrival.
About the agreement:
- The agreement will make it possible to transmit and receive electronic data of international postal items prior to their physical arrival at the destination and would enable customs clearance of postal items in advance in line with the evolving global postal framework.
- This will also improve the performance of postal services in terms of reliability, visibility and security.
- Exchange of Electronic Advance Data as per the Agreement will be a key driver towards promoting mutual trade with emphasis on the exports from different parts of India to the USA through the postal channel.
- USA is a major destination of MSME products, Gems and Jewellery, Pharmaceuticals and other local products from India. This will fulfil a major demand of export industry to expedite customs clearances of export items.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Indian Post Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Director-General of Indian Post: Arundhaty Ghosh.