UN chief Antonio Guterres has appointed leading Indian economist Ligia Noronha as Assistant Secretary-General and Head of the New York Office of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). Prior to joining the UNEP, Noronha worked at The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) in New Delhi as Executive Director (Research Coordination) and as Director of the Division on Resources, Regulation and Global Security.
About Ligia Noronha:
- Noronha is an economist with over 30 years of international experience in the field of sustainable development.
- She has worked since 2014 as Director of UNEP’s Economy Division based in Nairobi, leading UNEP’s work on climate mitigation and energy transitions; on inclusive green economies, sustainable consumption and production, as well as on trade and sustainable finance, and the nexus of environment, pollution and health.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- United Nations Environment Programme Headquarters: Nairobi, Kenya.
- United Nations Environment Programme Head: Inger Andersen.
- United Nations Environment Programme Founder: Maurice Strong.
- United Nations Environment Programme Founded: 5 June 1972.