Aasif Sheikh, a wicketkeeper from Nepal, has been awarded the 2022 Christopher Martin-Jenkins Spirit of Cricket Award for his act of sportsmanship during a T20 international match. He refused to run out Ireland’s Andy McBrine, who was accidentally tripped over by Kamal Airee, the bowler. Judges also highly commended England’s Jos Buttler and Ben Stokes.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
In 2013, the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) and the BBC established the Spirit of Cricket Award to honor the memory of Christopher Martin-Jenkins, a former MCC president and BBC Test Match Special commentator who was dedicated to promoting the values of the sport. Recently, for the first time ever, the MCC and BBC opened up the award to public nominations. Following this, Sheikh’s behavior while representing Nepal was deemed the most deserving of the award.
About Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC)
- Marylebone Cricket Club Establishment – 1787
- Marylebone Cricket Club Founder – Thomas Lord
About International Cricket Council (ICC)
- Establishment – 15 June 1909
- Chairman – Greg Barclay
- CEO – Geoff Allardyce
- Headquarters – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
You may also read this:
- Rohan Bopanna becomes oldest tennis player to win ATP Masters 1000 title
- Former Australia Cricket Captain Tim Paine Announces Retirement from the Sport