India’s first-ever geothermal power project will be implemented by state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) at Puga village of eastern Ladakh. The project, known as Geothermal Field Development Project, will be implemented in three phases and is planned to commission by the end of 2022.
A tripartite agreement for this historic geothermal project was signed between Union Territory Administration Ladakh, Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC)-Leh and Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Energy Centre on February 08, 2021.
WARRIOR 5.0 Batch for SBI, RRB, RBI and IBPS Exams Banking Awareness Online Coaching | Bilingual
The list of benefits of the projects are
- Energy from the project will be used for giving round-the-clock power supplies to neighbouring villages
- Hot Water from the springs will be used for space-heating
- Constructing hot swimming pools to attract tourists
- The development of geothermal potential will be useful during winter months, as Ladakh’s hydropower stations are shut or work at lower efficiencies due to low flow rates.
- Geothermal Energy is Renewable as it generates power from the heat emerging out of Earth’s interior.
- Unlike Solar and Wind energy, it is available 24 hours a day & 365 days a year.
- It also emits 80% fewer greenhouse gases compared to coal and oil.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- ONGC Energy CentreChairman & Managing Director: Shashi Shanker.
- ONGC Energy Centre Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh: Radha Krishna Mathur.
Find More News Related to Agreements