Veteran Atomic Scientist and Former Chairman of Atomic Energy Commission(AEC), Sekhar Basu passed away due to COVID-19. He served as the Secretary to the Government of India, Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) and as director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC). He was born on September 20, 1952, in Muzaffarpur, Bihar.
- He developed the highly complex reactor for INS Arihant, India’s 1st nuclear-powered submarine.
- He was the key person behind the design, construction and operation of nuclear recycle plants in Tarapur and Kalpakkam.
- He also played a vital role in the development of the Indian Neutrino Observatory in Tamil Nadu.
Awards and honours:
- He was the recipient of PadmaShri (2014).
- He received awards namely, Indian Nuclear Society Award (2002), DAE Group Achievement Award (2006) & DAE Special Achievement Award(2007) among others.
- He was a Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE) and Indian Society for Non-Destructive Testing (ISNT).