India finished their campaign at the Tokyo Paralympics 2020 with an all-time high of 19 medals which includes five gold, eight silver, and six bronze. This is the best medal tally for India a single edition of the Paralympic Games. India is placed at 24th position in the overall medal tally out of a total of 162 nations.
Indian Flag Bearers:
- Javelin thrower Tek Chand was the flag bearer at the opening ceremony of the Tokyo Paralympics.
- Shooter Avani Lekhara was India’s flag-bearer at the closing ceremony.
India at Paralympics 2020:
- India sent its biggest ever contingent of 54 para-athletes at Tokyo Paralympics to compete across as many as 9 sporting disciplines at the Games.
- Prior to this, India had won a total of 12 Paralympics medals, since making its first appearance at the Paralympics in 1968, till the 2016 Rio.
- The Indian theme song of Paralympics 2020 “Kar de kamaal tu”. The composer and singer of the song is Sanjeev Singh, a Divyang cricket player from Lucknow.
List of Indian medallists winners of Tokyo Paralympics 2020:
- Athletics: Sumit Antil (Men’s Javelin Throw)
- Badminton: Pramod Bhagat (Men’s Singles)
- Badminton: Krishna Nagar (Men’s Singles)
- Shooting: Manish Narwal (Mixed 50m Pistol)
- Shooting: Avani Lekhara (Women’s 10m Air Rifle Standing)
- Athletics: Yogesh Kathuniya (Men’s Discus Throw)
- Athletics: Nishad Kumar (Men’s High Jump)
- Athletics: Mariyappan Thangavelu (Men’s High Jump)
- Athletics: Praveen Kumar (Men’s High Jump)
- Athletics: Devendra Jhajharia (Men’s Javelin Throw)
- Badminton: Suhas Yathiraj (Men’s Singles)
- Shooting: Singhraj Adhana (Mixed 50m Pistol)
- Table Tennis: Bhavina Patel (Women’s Singles)
- Archery: Harvinder Singh (Men’s Individual Recurve)
- Athletics: Sharad Kumar (Men’s High Jump)
- Athletics: Sundar Singh Gurjar (Men’s Javelin Throw)
- Badminton: Manoj Sarkar (Men’s Singles)
- Shooting: Singhraj Adhana (Men’s 10m Air Pistol)
- Shooting: Avani Lekhara (Women’s 50m Rifle 3 Positions)
Important takeaways from Tokyo Paralympics:
- Tokyo Paralympics was the 16th Summer Paralympic Games, held in Tokyo, Japan from August 24, to September 05, 2021.
- Badminton and Taekwondo were inducted for the first time in Tokyo Paralympics.
- Team China topped the final medal tally at Tokyo Paralympic Games. The country won a total of 207 medals (96 golds, 60 silvers and 51 bronzes). United Kingdom (124) gets the second position followed by the USA(104).
- This is the fifth consecutive time China dominated Paralympic Games in both gold medal tally and overall medal tally.
- The closing ceremony was entitled ‘Harmonious Cacophony’ and involved both able-bodied actors and others with disabilities. The theme was described by organizers as a ‘world inspired by the Paralympics, one where differences shine’