Navratna Defence PSU Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) has signed an MoU with Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) for the domestic manufacture and supply of its Long-Range Artillery Weapon System (LORA) for the Indian Tri-services. This state-of-the-art strategic weapon system will be manufactured by BEL, as the prime contractor, based on the workshare arrangement with IAI.
BEL to Manufacture Israel’s LORA Ballistic Missile for Indian Tri-Services- Key Points
- The MoU was signed at the ongoing Aero India 2023 and it is an outcome of the growing partnership between India and Israel in the field of high-technology strategic defense systems.
- It is in line with the Government of India’s ‘Make in India’ initiative for major weapon systems.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh informed that India is set to spend 75% of defense capital outlay on procurement from domestic firms.
- LORA is a sea-to-ground and ground-to-ground system developed by IAI’s ‘MALAM’ division that comprises a long-range ballistic missile, a unique launcher, a command-and-control system, and a ground/marine support system.
- The LORA system provides ballistic assault capabilities for multiple ranges with a precision level of 10 meters CEP (circular error probable).
Bharat Electronics Ltd About
Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) is an Indian Government-owned aerospace and defense electronics company. It primarily manufactures advanced electronic products for ground and aerospace applications. BEL is one of nine PSUs under the Ministry of Defence of India. It has been granted Navratna status by the Government of India.
- IAF develops ‘Vayulink’ platform for steady jammer-proof communication
- Indian Air Force to Conduct Exercise ‘PRALAY’ in Northeastern Part of India