The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) was founded on 7th May 1960 as a leading road construction agency under the Ministry of Defence with Shramena Sarvam Sadhyam (everything is achievable through hard work) as its motto. On 7 May 2022 BRO celebrated its 62nd Raising Day (foundation day).
- It is a leading road construction agency under the Ministry of Defence.
- Its primary role is to provide road connectivity in India’s border areas. It also creates upgrades and maintains infrastructure along borders to meet India’s overall tactical and strategic goals.
- Apart from road construction it also executes maintenance works along Northern and Western frontiers mainly to meet the strategic requirements of the Indian Army. It is responsible for over 53,000 Km of roads.
- Its work involves Formation Cutting, Surfacing, Bridge construction and Resurfacing.
- It contributes toward India’s strategic objectives in neighbouring regions by constructing roads in friendly foreign nations like Afghanistan, Bhutan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Nepal.
- Disaster management: It has played important role in reconstruction work after the tsunami in Tamil Nadu in 2004, the Kashmir earthquake in 2005, the Ladakh flash floods in 2010 etc.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Border Roads Organisation Headquarters: New Delhi;
- Border Roads Organisation Director-General: Lt. Gen. Rajeev Chaudhary;
- Border Roads Organisation Founded: 7 May 1960.