The Indian foreign minister S Jaishankar was on an official visit to two key Indian Ocean region countries- Maldives and Mauritius. The External Affairs Minister (EAM) S Jaishankar visited the Island nation Mauritius to review the comprehensive and important bilateral relationship between the two nations. India signed a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) or (Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Partnership Agreement-(CECPA)) with Mauritius.
About the agreement:
- The FTA or CECPA is the first such pact with any African country, and will help Mauritius to emerge as a “hub of Africa”.
- India has also offered a USD 100 million Line of Credit (LoC) to Mauritius to facilitate the procurement of defence assets.
- Apart from this, an agreement has also been signed between the two countries to provide a Dornier aircraft and an Advanced Light Helicopter Dhruv on lease to Mauritius on a gratis basis for 2 years, so that the country can carry out patrolling activities and monitor its vast maritime domain more effectively.
- India delivered 100,000 doses of Made in India COVID-19 vaccines to the country. It had supplied 100,000 doses earlier. Both the countries also signed MoU on Consumer Protection and a Contract for an 8 MW solar plant.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Prime Minister of Mauritius: Pravind Jugnauth; President: Prithvirajsing Roopun.
- Mauritius Currency: Mauritian rupee.
- Mauritius Capital: Port Louis.