The Indian Army recently launched the first Green Solar Energy harnessing plant in Sikkim. It was launched to benefit the troops of the Indian army. The plant uses Vanadium based battery technology. It was built at an altitude of 16,000 feet. The capacity of the plant is 56 KVA. It was completed in collaboration with IIT Mumbai.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
About the Vanadium:
- In January 2021, Vanadium was discovered in Arunachal Pradesh. This was the first discovery of Vanadium in India.
- India consumes 4% of global vanadium production in the world.
- It is found in sixty different minerals and ores that includes carnotite, vanadate, roscoelite, patronite.
- Vanadium is used in making steel alloys, space vehicles, nuclear reactors, etc. It is also used in making girders, piston rods. Vanadium redox batteries are used in superconducting magnets. They are also used to create reliable renewable sources of energy.
- The colour of Vanadium is silver. It is a transitional metal, that is, a good conductor of heat and electricity.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Chief Minister of Sikkim: PS Golay.
- Governor of Sikkim: Ganga Prasad.