Professor Thalappil Pradeep, Indian Scientist, India Institute of Technology, Madras received VinFuture special Prize on 20th December 2022 in Hanoi. Prof Thalappil Pradeep was awarded for the innovation of a low-cost filtration system to remove arsenic and other heavy metals from groundwater.
About Professor Thalappil Pradeep
Thalappil Pradeep is an Indian scientist and professor of chemistry in the Department of Chemistry at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras. He has received the Padma Shri award in 2020 for his distinguished contribution to the field of science and technology.
He received the Nikkei Asia Prize in 2020, The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) Prize in 2018, and the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology in 2008. Thalappil Pradeep was born on 8th July 1963 in Panthavoor, Kerala.
VinFuture Prize 2022
- The VinFuture Grand Prize is valued at US $3 million, which is one of the largest ever annual prizes globally.
- Three special prizes are awarded to female innovators, developing country innovators, and innovators with outstanding achievements in emerging fields.
- These three prizes are valued at US $500,000 each.
- Winners demonstrate their breakthrough innovations that contribute to promoting global recovery and post-pandemic restructuring.
- The recipients of the VinFuture Prize 2022 were selected from nearly 1,000 nominations across 71 countries.
- The VinFuture Prize 2022 was held in Hanoi on 20th December 2022.