The Ministry of Home Affairs has announced a list of 119 personalities who will be conferred the Padma Awards by President Ram Nath Kovind this year. These awards cater to various disciplines including art, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports and civil service. While ‘Padma Shri’ is awarded for distinguished service in any field, ‘Padma Bhushan’ is awarded for distinguished service of a high order.
On the other hand, ‘Padma Vibhushan’ is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service. Among the 2021 awardees, 29 are women, one is transgender,10 are foreigners/NRIs/OCI and 16 have passed away. There will be no recipient of the Bharat Ratna in 2021.
Film producers Karan Johar, Ekta Kapoor, actor-filmmaker Kangana Ranaut, veteran actor Sarita Joshi, playback singer Suresh Wadkar and music composer Adnan Sami were among 61 Padma Shri awardees for the year 2020 who received the country’s fourth-highest civilian honour at a ceremony held in the Rashtrapati Bhavan here.
Padma Vibhushan awards List
- Shinzo Abe, Japan
- S P Balasubramaniam (Posthumous), Tamil Nadu
- Belle Monappa Hegde, Karnataka
- Narinder Singh Kapany (Posthumous), USA
- Maulana Wahiduddin Khan, Delhi
- B. B. Lal, Delhi
- Sudarshan Sahoo, Odisha
Padma Bhushan Awards List
- Krishnan Nair Shantakumari Chithra, Kerala
- Tarun Gogoi (Posthumous), Assam
- Chandrashekhar Kambara, Karnataka
- Sumitra Mahajan, Madhya Pradesh
- Nripendra Misra, Uttar Pradesh
- Ram Vilas Paswan (Posthumous), Bihar
- Keshubhai Patel (Posthumous), Gujarat
- Kalbe Sadiq (Posthumous), Uttar Pradesh
- Rajnikant Devidas Shroff, Maharashtra
- Tarlochan Singh, Haryana