National Cadet Corps (NCC) has offered its volunteer cadets for national duty to fight COVID-19 under ‘Exercise NCC Yogdan’. It has issued guidelines for temporary employment of its cadets to augment relief efforts and functioning of various agencies involved in battling the pandemic. Only Senior Division volunteer cadets above 18 years of age will be employed. The tasks envisaged for NCC cadets include, manning of helpline/call centres; distribution of relief materials/medicines/food/essential commodities; community assistance; data management and queue & traffic management.
What is NCC?
- The NCC, which operates under the Ministry of Defence, is the largest uniformed youth organisation of the country and has been engaged in conducting various social service and community development activities.
- The NCC cadets have been contributing to the national cause during natural calamities like floods, cyclone, etc since its inception.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Director-General of NCC: Lt Gen Rajeev Chopra.
- The motto of NCC: Unity and discipline.
- Headquarters of NCC: New Delhi.
NCC founded: 16 April 1948.