The inauguration of a statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the first in North America, in Canada was praised by Prime Minister Narendra Modi as “a benchmark for relations between the two countries.” The bronze monument was unveiled at a ceremony at the Sanatan Mandir Cultural Centre in Markham, Ontario. It is a wonderful opportunity to recognise the longstanding and dynamic relationship that exists between India and Canada, as well as the significant contributions to the Indo-Canadian community – numbering over 1.4 million.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
- The statue also serves as “a testament to the community’s deep gratitude and respect for Sardar Patel’s immense contributions and selfless dedication to India.”
- The statue was a smaller counterpart of the Statue of Unity in Kevadia, Gujarat.
- The statue stands nine feet tall on a four-foot base and weighs nine tonnes.
- In 2019, the temple launched a fundraising campaign for the monument, which was created by Matu Ram Art Centres, a Gurugram-based company.
Important Takeaways for All Competitive Exams:
- External Affairs Minister: S Jaishankar
- Gujarat Chief Minister: Bhupendra Patel