WhatsApp has announced the Digital Payments Utsav for 500 villages in India. WhatsApp’s Digital Payments Utsav is a pilot program that promotes digital payments to empower individuals and businesses and is meant as a project to further the cause of financial inclusion. The aim is to empower villagers with access to digital payments via the ‘payments on WhatsApp’.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
At the Fuel For India 2021 event:
- WhatsApp announced the Digital Payments Utsav – a pilot program that is going to adopt 500 villages in Karnataka and Maharashtra in an effort to “accelerate financial inclusion”.
- Digital Payments Utsav took off on October 15 this year in the Kyathanahalli village in the Mandya district of Karnataka.
- Here on-ground facilitators helped familiarise villagers with various aspects of digital payments including how to sign up for UPI, set up a UPI account, and also told them about the best practices to be safe while using digital payments online.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- WhatsApp Founded: 2009;
- WhatsApp CEO: Will Cathcart;
- WhatsApp Headquarters: Menlo Park, California, United States;
- WhatsApp Acquisition date: 19 February 2014;
- WhatsApp Founders: Jan Koum, Brian Acton;
- WhatsApp Parent organization: Facebook.