22nd President of Bangladesh
A former judge and freedom fighter, Mohammad Shahabuddin Chuppu, was elected unopposed as Bangladesh’s 22nd President. A gazette was issued on the appointment of the new Bangladesh President by the Chief Election Commissioner. According to the country’s Chief Election Commission, 74-year-old Chuppu will replace President Mohammad Abdul Hamid.
The tenure of incumbent Hamid, the longest-serving president of Bangladesh, will end on April 23, and according to the Constitution, he cannot hold a third term. Senior Awami League leader and seven-time lawmaker Hamid was elected Bangladesh president in the last two elections. He was sworn in for his second term on April 24, 2018.
Who is Mohammad Shahabuddin Chuppu?
- After his retirement as a district and sessions judge, Chuppu served as one of the commissioners of the independent Anti-Corruption Commission.
- He later joined politics and became a member of the Awami League Advisory Council, which comprises senior party leaders and technocrats.
- However, Chuppu will have to relinquish the party post to become the titular head of the State.
- Born in the northwestern Pabna district, Chuppu was a leader of Awami League’s student and youth wings in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
- He also took part in the 1971 Liberation War and was imprisoned for waging a protest after the August 15, 1975 assassination of Bangladesh’s founder Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman — the father of Prime Minister Hasina — in a military coup along with most of his family members.
- The coup also led to the toppling of the Awami League government. In 1982, he was inducted into the country’s judicial service.
- Chuppu served as the coordinator of the Bangabandhu murder trial when Awami League returned to power in the 1996 elections.
- His wife Rebeka Sultana is the former joint secretary to the government.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
- Bangladesh Currency: Bangladeshi Taka
- Bangladesh Capital: Dhaka.
You may also read this:
- India-Bangladesh Friendship pipeline to begin supplying diesel
- Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina Inaugurates First-Ever Metro Service in Dhaka