Spanish Super Cup
Barcelona have won the Spanish Super Cup for the first time since the competition was revamped and moved to Saudi Arabia with a 3-1 victory over Real Madrid. Robert Lewandowski, Gavi and Pedri scored a goal each at King Fahd Stadium in Riyadh to give Barcelona its first Super Cup trophy since 2018, and the first since the tournament’s Final-Four format began in 2020 in a lucrative deal for the Spanish football federation. It was also Barcelona’s first title since former player Xavi took over as the team’s coach in 2021, and since Lionel Messi left for Paris Saint-Germain. Barcelona have now won the Super Cup a record 14 times. Madrid have 12 to their name.
Other important points
- The Super Cup used to be played between the Spanish league champion and the Copa del Rey winner. Now the runners-up in both competitions also participate.
- Madrid played as the league champion and Barcelona as the league runner-up.
- The current contract to play the Super Cup in Saudi Arabia runs through the 2024-25 season.
You may also read this:
- Viacom18 bagged Women’s IPL media rights for Rs 951 cr for next 5 years
- India defeat Sri Lanka and sets world record of biggest win in terms of runs
- Virat Kohli becomes fifth highest run scorer in ODI cricket